Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bea's Upside Down Caramel Apple Muffin

upside down caramel apple muffin which I interpreted from a recipe I saw in today's NYT.

3 apples (about 1 1/2 pounds) peeled, cored and sliced about 1/4" thick
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
4 TB unsalted butter
pinch of kosher salt

Applesauce muffin recipe from V Schuett's cookbook but omit the cinnamon.

In a large skillet over medium high, stir together apples, brown sugar, butter and salt (I added 1 tsp cinnamon)
Cook until apples are tender.

Generously grease a muffin tin (I made 9 muffins). For this I used shortening and I was GENEROUS.

Pre-heat oven to 375

When apples are tender, distribute the apples and any juices into the bottoms of the muffin tins.
Put the prepared applesauce muffin mix on top of the apples and bake for about 18-20 minutes until they are done.

Let cool for a few minutes and then invert the muffins onto a plate.

They came out like perfect little tarts. I served them warm and they would have been really good with some coolwhip on top.

No comments: